Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Drive-In Theater, Anyone?

I received an e-mail this morning from a drive-in theater near my home, informing me of what movies will be playing this weekend.  It made me wonder just how many people go to drive-ins over the summer.  So I thought I'd ask!  Do you make the trek to a drive-in to see movies? 

We discovered our drive-in quite by accident some years ago (quite a few years ago, if I'm going to be honest).  It's not near our house; in fact, it's about an hour drive from us.  But several times a summer the entire family gathers our lawn chairs, comfy blankies and pillows, and of course the bug spray, and we head out on an adventure.

The theater itself looks like something right out of 1955, complete with the playground equipment in front of the screen.  And going into the concession area is, literally, like taking a step back in time.  I doubt they have ever done a major remodel - they only make sure what they have is in good running condition, and they carry on for another summer.  It's by no means a dive or a dump; on the contrary, it's very well cared for.  And around my house, it just wouldn't be summer with a few trips to the drive-in theater.

Does anyone else have a similar summer tradition?

2 comments:

  1. I haven't been to a drive-in theater in ages! Not sure where the nearest one would be. They are fun :). I think there are some places that have outdoor movies in nearby parks, where people just take their blankets and sit on the grass and watch the movie. Might have to find one this summer.

    One summer tradition my husband and I have is the annual family reunion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah...yes...the family reunion! We used to have them twice a year: once in the summer, then again at Christmas. But, alas, our family has either moved out of state or passed away. I am the last one in my family left in Illinois, and my husband only has two sisters, who we see regularly.

    ReplyDelete